Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter everyone! I hope you enjoyed some time off over the weekend and got to enjoy time with family and friends.

I am extremely busy at work right now, but this weekend I took some time to just enjoy my family. It was some much needed rest and relaxation; honestly it was the best stress therapy out there. And so.. it all got me thinking..

What are some everyday stress solutions when a big family affair isn't practical. With a little research, I came up with the following tips and tricks:


  1. Add a smile. Just stop, breath and go to your happy place! Taking two minutes to slow down and think of the things you are grateful in your life, almost always you will be able to reduce those stress effects. 
  2. Warm your hands. When stress or anxiety rushes in, your blood flows to your heart and large muscles. So you if you just trick your body into redirecting the blood flow back to your hands and other limbs, you can trick your mind to release the stress and anxiety.
  3. Be philanthropic. Similar to #1 above, think about the things you have in your life that other people around the world are not privy to those same luxurious. Use that to donate your time, money or other resources, it will lift your mood almost immediately. 
  4. Eat some carbs. If you eat a whole grain carb meal, it will raise your blood sugars and result in calm and positive feelings. Chocolate will do the same but its an unnatural sugar high that will not last. 
  5. Pull out some weeds. This is one of my tricks, I get into the garden and pull out some weeds and I get some sort of satisfaction from it that clears my mind completely!
  6. Downward facing dog. You don't even have to do a full yoga class, just take a couple minutes to take some strong breaths in and focus on a slow breath out. This will clear your mind and allow you to relax in order to alleviate the stress.
  7. Exercise. Numerous studies show that with a little regular exercise provides a surge of neurotransmitters that are natural anti-depressants.
  8. Be nostalgic. Listen to your favourite music, look at some family photos, etc. Those memories will change your mind frame and allow you to disconnect the focus to your stress and anxiety. 
  9. Light a candle. Citrus scents are known to life your spirits. Even lavender is a commonly known stress reliever. 
  10. Have a burger. Okay I don't mean to drive over to your local McDonalds, but get a natural beef burger, it will increase your iron which boosts your energy levels. Iron deficiency is very common among men and woman and it is a large culprit if you are feeling fatigued, dizzy, muscle weakness among many others, you should consult your doctor. 
All of these are tricks I use to manage my hectic life. I want to be able to enjoy every day, and if I let the little things stress me out, there would be no time to stop and enjoy.

I know coming out of a long weekend can always ramp up the stress into the work week, I just hope these tricks can help you manage some of the stress in your every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment